Monday, May 16, 2011

Peace Amidst The Storm


I am so sorry I have been away for so long. But these few weeks have been a little crazy. First my grandmother went into the hospital, and then my computer's adapter and battery went dead after a power outage, then all the doctors' appointment and tests to check up on my health and so many other things, that I felt like I had been bombarded. Even things with family, at church, I mean the devil was bent on making it unmanageable for me. But it's precisely in these moments where my God, My Heavenly Father pushes me forward. I it's astonishing to me how He does it, but as I was crying out to Him, and asking for help so that I could get through the storm, I felt an incredible sense of peace and comfort.

Have you ever felt like there is a thunderstorm raging inside of you? That the things that are going around you or in your life are beyond your control? Or that even these things are weighing you down in such a way that you are at the brink of losing your strength? Even at the brink of losing your sanity. Think about it: Problems with your partner, your kids getting on your nerves, your boss or coworkers making your life miserable, your responsibility as a caregiver for your parents, your bills piling on, stress catching up with you, etc. I mean we can sit here all day long and list all the things that are contributing to your load, and I am sure we could probably find a ton more. Indeed it may all feel like your life is a huge storm and you don't know what to do.

But there is something that God reminds me of over and over again in times of trouble: He has been, is, and always will be with me on that boat (the boat of my life). He will never leave nor forsake me during the storm. Mark 4:37-39 says:


"And there arose a fierce gale of wind, 
and the waves were breaking over the 
boat so much that the boat was already 
filling up. Jesus Himself was in the stern, 
asleep on the cushion; 


  
And they woke Him and said to Him, "Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing? 







"And He got up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Hush, be still." And the wind died down and it became perfectly calm.”


 


Jesus is the only person that can calm our storms. He is with us at the time of trouble, strengthening us, directing us, loving, us; yet He can only do so if we give Him the opportunity. Many times we want to try and calm our storm by ourselves, not knowing that we can't do it without His help. The answer is not panicking, or entertaining fear and anguish. The real answer is having the faith to believe that we can calm the storm as long as Jesus is with us. The true answer is having the faith that we can remain calm during the turmoil if we believe in His attribute of being our peace and our refuge. He said in John 14: 27 "My Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." He gave us the key to remain in peace even throughout our storms: Himself! "I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world" (John 16:23). In Him we can find the peace we so desperately need and cannot understand: "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7).

Take the gift of His peace and let it affect you. It is a gift of love which He paid with His own blood for us to have. Don't be afraid! Be confident that He is with you, and that He won't let go. Choose to be peaceful during your storms, not allowing the devil to overtake your mind. Use The Word as your sword, and overcome, just like Jesus did. YOU ARE A SON OR DAUGHTER OF GOD, SO YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DO IT!

Love, Victoria


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment